• Special Needs Soccer Association

  • Donate Today

    Help out Haiti

  • News and Notes

  • Our August 2nd Podcast

Crystal Palace Baltimore to sit out 2011 NASL season, is AC next?

From the Baltimore front office:

BALTIMORE (DECEMBER 3, 2010)- Crystal Palace Baltimore announced today that they will not be fielding a team in the North American Soccer League (NASL) during the 2011 season in order to restructure with an intended re-launch for the 2012 NASL season. The re-launch will include a complete re-branding of the club to coincide with opening a soccer facility in downtown Baltimore.

In addition, the club announced that it is ending its four year relationship with Crystal Palace FC of England’s Championship Division. Crystal Palace Baltimore was the first trans-Atlantic partnership of its kind in North America but the relationship between the clubs could not survive the financial struggles that resulted in Crystal Palace FC entering administration in England.

The club is currently working with the City of Baltimore to secure a venue for 2012 and beyond. “We want to be downtown and believe doing so will allow us to better connect to our fans and the City” said Pete Medd, part-owner and President of Crystal Palace Baltimore. “We would like to thank our loyal fans who have stuck with us despite not having a place to call home and we are committed to giving them what they deserve and what all of our future fans in Baltimore deserve; a venue that honors their loyalty and commitment to the club.”

The club looks forward to involving local soccer fans in the process of choosing a new identity and nickname. One thing that has been determined is the Club’s future colors: red, yellow, and black, the proud and historic colors of the City of Baltimore and the state of Maryland.

Advertisements

2 Responses

  1. So, the “is AC next?” in the title…is that based on anything newsworthy or just more wild pointless speculation?

  2. According to Brian Quarstad at IMS concerning AC St. Louis…..”Lastly, the situation in St. Louis is not looking good. IMS had been in contact with Ryan Woods on a regular basis over the last 2 months. Woods, a real estate developer, had been trying to redevelop a section of St. Louis called Richmond Heights. But last Tuesday he did not meet a financial deadline, and Richmond Heights officials said the city’s contract with the developer is dead. Woods still could develop the area but it would mean that the development would no longer include a soccer stadium which in turn means his interest in the team is most likely gone as well.

    Woods has not returned my calls or emails since late last week.

    It’s believed if Woods does not close on AC St. Louis that Jeff Cooper would shut down the team and sell A-B Park to a local St. Louis caterer and restaurant owner.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: